Linux professionals with open-source knowledge can capitalize on this trend, and organizations that invest in open-source personnel may be more competitive. Note that Linux’s prominence in the tech industry is rising, and it is predicted to continue in the future. So if you’re an IT professional or a career shifter looking for promising work in 2023, the trends show that Linux is where it’s at. If you aren’t sure which path is best, schedule a discovery call today with our seasoned recruiting professionals.
- In May 2021, US computer and IT professionals, including those specializing in Linux, earned around $97,430, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
- While these averages are good numbers to reference, your actual network engineer salary may vary depending on a range of factors.
- According to Lightcast™, the average salary for network and computer systems administrators, which includes network engineers, is $96,300 .
- That makes a Linux career worth it, and it has the potential to be very lucrative and secure in the face of economic downturns.
- They need to maintain local documentation, which gets updated on all features of servers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or closely related field and a minimum of 5 years of experience in Linux/UNIX Systems Administration.
A lot of experts aver that Linux is the operating system of the future, because of its security, real-time response, and other features. It is also helpful for engineers wanting to learn virtualization, cloud computing, and database, among others, easily. Job growth for network engineering and administration in all technologies including Linux is expected to grow 4-5% in the next ten years. Linux engineer salary is impacted by location, education, and experience. Linux engineers earn the highest average salary in New Jersey, New York, West Virginia, California, and Oregon.
Mission Forecast for Linux Network Engineer
I was going to go the self taught route but I came across their website and it seemed like a cost effective alternative. The projects at the end of the program were challenging and really helped you showcase your skills and standout amongst other bootcamp graduates. New Jersey pays Linux Engineers the most in the United States, with an average salary of $123,650 per year, or $59.45 per hour. It’s common for a Linux engineer to hold a bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering or engineering or have equivalent experience.
To explore salary ranges by local market, please visit our sister site zengig.com. They need strong interpersonal skills since they need to interact with both business and technical teams. Train to work with server and database administrators to identify network capacity requirements and https://remotemode.net/ recommend hardware and services to support network usage. According to Lightcast, the median advertised salary for a Linux engineer is $99,000 as of July 2022. Although, there are many factors that influence salary such as location, job level, years of experience, company size and more.
Use 4 Corner Resources (or another professional recruiting firm)
Those with Linux skills are sought after in the industry which is why Linux jobs are currently on the rise. Being a Linux engineer allows you to fully support and improve an organization while operating and troubleshooting multiple systems. Whether it’s due to cost of living, taxes, or employee demand, your geographic location can impact your potential salary in many roles, including as a network engineer. Im starting to look for network engineering jobs and alot of them are asking for linux experience. The Linux Engineer is responsible for the hardware and software components of the network and other devices within the business setting for current and future environments.
- Ultimately, Linux’s growing popularity in the workplace bodes well for IT pros and those looking to make a career change.
- Monitor Linux network usage and tailor parameters for optimum throughput.
- They really helped me navigate my career change into software development.
- Each article will include the responsibilities, qualifications, related job titles and salary range for the role.
Toptal vets its freelancers before making them accessible, ensuring their legitimacy. Hiring a Linux engineer on Toptal can help you quickly get the results you need. Take advantage of job acquisition services, such as Resume Creator and Online Reputation Builder to accelerate your search for your dream job. An Interview Coach prepares you for that crucial interaction with targeted employers—your booster rocket above the competition. Absolutely amazing program I highly recommend it for all people aiming to improve their quality of life, they are incredibly flexible, hands on, and provide phenomenal service!
What is a linux engineer's salary?
The lowest average linux engineer salary states are Kansas, North Dakota, and Georgia. The role of a Linux engineer may vary depending on https://remotemode.net/become-a-linux-network-engineer/ the organization but overall is the same. They’re typically more needed and involved within a tech company than other organizations.
Coursera’s editorial team is comprised of highly experienced professional editors, writers, and fact... Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or closely related field and a minimum of 5 years of experience in Linux/UNIX Systems Administration. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered. According to Payscale, the average Linux Engineer salary is $89,895 annually. Alternately, on an hourly basis the average Linux Engineer salary is $50.98.